June 9th, 2009
Today, 9 June, in the Nasimi District Court, under the chairmanship of Judge Ikram Shirinov, a court hearing was held on the lawsuit of Institute for Reporters' Freedom and Safety Chairman Emin Huseynov against the Ministry of Interior, Nasimi District Police Department and Police Unit 22 of the Nasimi District Police Department. The lawsuit stems from police pressure that Huseynov was subjected to in June 2008.

Emin Huseynov and his lawyer, Media Rights Institute employee Elchin Sadigov, Ministry of Interior Inspector on Important Tasks Farhad Azimov and Nasimi DPD Police Unit #22 lawyer Mazahir Shahbarov participated in the hearing.
In his final statement plaintiff’s lawyer Elchin Sadigov said that items indicated in E.Huseynov’s lawsuit have been confirmed during the hearings conducted on this case. Therefore, he asked the judge to fulfill the lawsuit.
Defendants’ representatives M.Shabarov and F.Azimov stated that E.Huseynov’s lawsuit is unfounded and asked the judge not to fulfill the lawsuit.
Judge I.Shirinov said that the statements of the parties will be listened to during the next hearing and then a decision will be adopted.
The next hearing on this case is now scheduled to take place on 16 June 2009, at 5:30 p.m.
In his lawsuit Huseynov asked the court to issue a decision in which the action of dispersing the peaceful event at "Alaturka" Restaurant, the action of interfering in his professional work, the action of beating him and then taking him forcefully to the police unit, and failure to conduct an effective investigation into the case are considered against the law. He is also seeking each of defendants to pay 50,000 (fifty thousand –total 150, 000 AZN) AZN for moral damages and suffering.
On 14 June 2008, a group of fans of Cuban revolutionary Ernesto Che Guevera was trying to conduct an event in "Alaturka" Restaurant when the employees of law enforcement organs interfered. IRFS Chairman Emin Huseynov, who was there observing and filming the event, was beaten by police in the Police Department 22. Emin Huseynov lost his consciousness due to police pressure and received treatment for more than twenty days in the hospital and he is still continuing outpatient treatment.